Sunday, October 19, 2008

Bouncing Off Clouds

I know I'm not alone when I say that flying in a metal tube thousands of feet in the air can bring about a sense of insecurity and exhiliration all at the same time. It doesn't help that I have watched several documentary's on tragic plane crashes. Loose bolts, faulty wiring, controls stop working....all of these things plow through my head as I zoom across the skies. So, while I crack open my flask of liquid courage I take photos of the wings to sorta' distract myself.
All that being said, imagine my horror when in Costa Rica, I stepped on the tarmac and laid my big browns on this teeny-ass thing:


Yup, thats the pilot. He seemed together, fit, awake and not drunk. My nerves were jumpy, yet I maintained a mask of stoic-ness. It happened to be the rainy season so all flights are wrapped up by noonish to avoid getting caught in a hellish downpour. We avoided.

Banking left during takeoff. On this flight, I sat next to a Haitian screamer. She screamed her head off almost the whole 4 hour flight. I was ready to slip her a sleeping pill, but, she was only 2.


Chasing the sun on my way home from New Mexico.


Counting bolts.






No comments: